Last Saturday found me surprisingly all alone for a bike ride since Karen P. was on her way to the states for Space Camp, Gretchen was on her way to Taryoko Gorge, Donna was proctoring SAT's, Chen Li was recovering from eye surgery, Claire was helping movers pack up Mary Biss' apartment, (definitely NOT a fun day for her) Karen J. had overslept, Jeanne and Craig went out for a car ride (huh??) and the rest of our sometimes Saturday riders were busy or sleeping.
I decided I would head toward the zoo, and just go as far as I felt like going. Before I set out, I did come home to grab my iPod so I could enjoy some uplifting music. So, off I went, fighting cross and head winds, but it is Taiwindywan, so what was new? As I reached the end of the Jingfu Bike Path (about 23 miles from my starting point) I had to get off the bike for two reasons. One, there was a teeming crowd of youngsters and adult chaperones so thick that I couldn't make my way through to the exit.
And two, the entrance/exit is made in such a way that you have to get off the bike to maneuver it through. Instead of going all the way to the zoo, once I got off the path and onto the streets, sanity prevailed and I turned around and went back to the bike path. The streets in Muzha were insane with scooters and buses. One bus came too close even for me!
So, back on the path, I went left for a change instead of right, so I came out just behind a group of three bikers. Said hello, then went on past them. At one point I had a nice descent, so I got up a bit of speed...and so did one of the previously mentioned bikers. He got a good guffaw out of the fact that he caught up with me. That didn't last, though, as I soon left him in my dust. I stopped at Dadaocheng Wharf for a break and to stretch because my knee was wailing a bit, and who showed up and wanted to chat? The three bikers, of course. They were curious about the mirror (see I did get back to my original topic) and each wanted to take a look at it. Then of course, the ubiquitous cameras all came out and shots were taken in all manner of groupings.
Saturday proved to be a nice riding day, with a total of 50 miles. I decided to be a friend on Sunday and not ride, since Mary (Ian's sister) came back from the states that morning, and Ange and I took her out to breakfast. An American breakfast. Well, sort of. Don't ever ask for poached eggs at Round Table in Tienmu, Taiwan...although edible, they came out overdone and partially submerged in tepid water. The toast was pale white, with not a speck of whole grain goodness anywhere to be found. And the bacon? Limp, greasy, with a teensy bit of flavor. Oh well, I didn't come here for the food.
No comments:
Post a Comment