Sunday, September 28, 2008

Super Typhoon Jangmi Continues

It is nearly 6:00 pm, and I'm waiting for the local English radio hourly typhoon update. In the past couple hours it has gotten really hairy. I don't feel threatened by any part of it, but my lights have flickered a few times, and the new coverings (that were blown off by last year's typhoon) on part of the sports complex have been ripping and blowing off. I first noticed it when I heard a loud retort, much like a gunshot. Looked across the street, and yep, there they went.

Of course, I then had to go stand in my balcony doorway to get a few snapshots. I shot a couple videos, too. I've got the clips uploaded to photobucket, but that site is running so slowly that I won't post the videos tonight. Wait, maybe I'll see if I can upload to blogger...that would be a first for me.

My day was pretty productive. Made a great pot of beef stew...so yummy and fragrant. Finished grading the math journals. Still need to respond to some reading journals, but I'll put that off for awhile. See if we have school tomorrow or not, then I'll decide when or if to respond.

Quick update from the radio station: Gusts 227 kph, wind speeds 180 kph. Waves along the coast over four stories high. Airports closed. Bus flipped on its side from strong wind. Lots of localized flooding, signs down, etc. Bridges impassable, rock slides, parts of roads washed out, etc. 86,000 households without power, according to CNN. (You know it's a bad typhoon when CNN has coverage.)

Shoot...nothing about TAS being closed. Taipei will make the decision in the next hour or so. Yeah, that's what you told me an hour ago. C'mon, we lost a second weekend due to weather, give us the day off of school tomorrow. I'm not going to sleep anyway if the winds continue to batter my windows like they are right now, so I won't be that energetic anyway.

Well, it's not the most exciting video and you can't see the coverings fly away, but you can certainly hear the noise of the wind. And you can also see that I could barely hold the camera still. Pretty shaky.

2 comments:

Sue Jollow said...

Thanks for the video taste of what's happening there - my son's at TAS and I'm in Melbourne - stay safe!
Sue

russtaitai said...

Sue...is your son a student at TAS?