Saturday, August 23, 2008

Bloody hot ride yesterday!

Yes, I like the blue sky. No, I don't like to ride in the sun in Taipei when the temperature is 95 degrees and the humidity is 49%, which makes the heat index 105. It feels hotter than that because of all the concrete and asphalt...not like in Nebraska where I ride in wide open spaces. Yesterday was a tough ride for me. Karen P. and I took off from TAS, and met up with Chen Li at Guandu.

Keeping up a pretty good clip, we rode around the Archaeological Museum and stopped at the Giant bike shop before heading back to Bali. I started feeling the heat just before we got to the wharf, so stopping for cranberry juice and Pocari Sweat was just what I needed. Once we rested, we took off again for home, but I couldn't keep the pace that Karen was setting. Heat was just too much, so I finally stopped, Karen and Chen Li came back and I told them to go on ahead. After that I stopped in the shade occasionally, and kept a slow, steady pace home. I didn't get overheated that way, and I recovered quickly when I got home.

Other than the heat, it was a nice ride. We're going to start going out at 6:00 am next week, though, to avoid some of the worst of the heat.

Karen and I saw this dead little critter just as we were turning a corner to get onto the bike path. I had to turn around and get a picture because we rarely see these things in this kind of condition. That's my cell phone beside it.



Karen and Chen Li in action on the bike path.



When it's hot and sunny here, nobody stops right at the intersections to wait for red lights. We all stop and wait far behind, wherever there is a hint of shade.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, whom is this Pocari person, and why on Earth would you want to drink their sweat????
Seriously, what is Pocari Sweat?
I rode the Tour de Corn in Mitchell SD today, sunshine, winds 10-15 NNW, and temp was about 65 at the start and 75 at the end.
Miss the midwest yet?! :)

russtaitai said...

Hooterville...Pocari Sweat is an actual sports drink. It's a bit salty, but not bad tasting, and an excellent recovery drink.

Oh my goodness, do I miss the midwest! Your SD ride sounds glorious.