All caps in the title means I am yelling. The noise pollution in Taipei is my biggest complaint about the place. (the seemingly constant gray skies is my second biggest complaint) We just celebrated Chinese New Year, and if you know anything at all about Chinese culture, you know they shoot off firecrackers to ward off evil spirits. Most nights of the celebration found me listening to a plethora of noisy firecrackers and watching some pretty good fireworks. No problem, it's time to celebrate. What bugs me is the continuation of the firecrackers into this week, and at odd times of the day. Like 5:00 AM. Or 3:30 AM. Excuse me, but I need my beauty sleep.
I live across from a sports park. Nice place. Jogging track, trees, tennis courts, etc. And exercisers that crank up their music at 6:30 each morning. So loudly that I can hear it two blocks away when I walk to school. I woke up this morning around 5:30, and since it was Saturday, thought I could burrow back underneath my three blankets for a little extra shut-eye. Once I decided I couldn't block out the sound of the music, I decided to just get up and go walk the track at school for awhile. Needed to do that anyway.
Each evening, another group of exercisers lovingly shares their special music from about 8:30 to 9:30. Not to be outdone, there is usually a small group of folks meditating (and trying to get donations for their cult) with their music (that term is used rather loosely here) competing with the exercisers. So nice.
And most recently, the saxophonist has returned to the park. He so loves to practice each day after school, and on a good day, I don't mind the melancholy melodies. At least he departs before I go to bed.
Right now I've got the sound of bus engines straining to pick up steam after stopping to pick up or drop off passengers, scooters whose owners think the road is a highway, and the nightly firecrackers. Just a normal night around here.
No comments:
Post a Comment