So I didn't exactly follow doctor's orders and now I can tell I got back on the bike too soon. (Stupid marble floors in Taiwan.) I will now force myself to ignore my desire to ride and instead do some brisk walking, which should lead up to some pain free jogging in the next few weeks. And, like the good doc told me, when I can jog for 15 minutes without my knee bothering me, then, and ONLY then, will I hop back on my two wheels. Yippee yay.
4 comments:
Shame on you for not listenting to your Doctor?!!! ;)
It's hard, I know, but worth it to wait.
Stupid docs. I hate it when they know what they are talking about.
Yeah, doctors sometimes know what they're talking about.
Except with this new advice... being able to run for 15 minutes before you can get back on the bike? I kind of understand what the doc is saying, but honestly, setting the prerequisite for getting back on the bike in such a way does not make sense to me. The world is filled with people whose knees are in such horrible shape that they could and should NEVER run because it's a whole 'nother level of stressfulness. But bicycling? Absolutely! (I think, for example, of my 77-year-old father-in-law.)
Of course, since you can and do run, you should follow your doctor's advice... so nevermind. ;-)
I thought the doctor was wrong, too, that's why I rode last week. And went backwards with the healing. It's because when riding, my leg bends more than it is ready to, which keeps exacerbating the injury. Apparently by strengthening the quads and stretching the hamstrings, the patellofemoral syndrome will heal. (I'm still not convinced that running is good for me)
Post a Comment