Friday, January 04, 2008

Off the Bike for Two Weeks?

So, two weeks ago, I was enjoying a nap after our half day of school, and was in a deep deep slumber. The phone rang, and as I groped around trying to figure out which phone it was and where it was, I actually rolled out of bed and landed knee first on the hard marble floor. I iced it right away, and didn't think too much more about it, except for occasional bouts of severe pain on the airplane to the states whenever I accidentally bumped it. I could walk fine most of the time, so I didn't think I hurt it too badly. I discovered, however, that I could put no weight directly on it, painful enough to bring tears to my eyes.

I will always put off going to see a doctor for as long as I can, but I decided since I still couldn't put direct weight on my kneecap (yes I tried kneeling today to see what would happen.) I figured I had at least better check it out, so I headed over to a sports doctor I had seen before. I was lucky enough to get in to see him at 1:00, so I only had an hour to kill, which I did by going to Hola and B&Q.

When I got in to see Dr. Hang, I was semi-apologetic, thinking I didn't really need to be there. Turned out it was good that I went because I walked out with orders to remain off my bike for a minimum of two weeks, no walking up or down stairs, a few exercises to stretcth my hamstrings and further strengthen my quads, anti-imflammatories for a week, and an appointment for next Friday to see how things are progressing.

What's funny is that I rode this morning and dedicated my miles to the Rouge Croix riders on bikejournal.com. It's odd to see the red cross by my name on the forum, but it should be gone soon.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to read about your knee!
You MUST do what the Docs and physical therapists say to do.
With out fail! Don't go thinking that you feel so much better so that you can then "push it just a bit".
You will heal, be back on the bike and back to your lifestyle in good time, just make sure that it will be "good time" and none too soon! :)

Kin said...

Good luck with your knee and hope it heals quickly!

russtaitai said...

Thanks for the well wishes. I'll see the doc on Friday and I'm counting on him giving me good news.

Anonymous said...

Sorry you hurt your knee, russtaitai!!! Not a good way to start the year! Hope you get better and get back on the bike quickly!

Kin said...

It's Friday here ....
Any good news ??

russtaitai said...

Kin, same news. Off the bike for at least another week. More ice, more antiinflammatories. Could have opted for a steroid shot for the pain in the bursa due to fluid, decided against that for another week at least. We'll see what happens next Friday.