One of the great customs here is at different times every few weeks preceeding Chinese New Year, people are able to throw out all kinds of junk on various street corners in the city. Last week, at 5:30 am, I hauled out some electronics that no longer worked. They lasted about five minutes before they were snatched up. Good, nice to have them out of here and hopefully they went to someone who could fix them or at least use the parts.
I've been wanting to get rid of the spare room old stained carpet for about three years, but somehow Russ and I never figured out the right nights for dumping. Well, tonight I was in the front bedroom, reading the bikejournal.com forum, and watching American Idol and the Australian Open, when I heard a bunch of noise emanating from the street below. Hmmm, could it be my moment? I looked out over the balcony and saw the dumping pile growing. Yes! Tonight was it.
First, of course, I had to partially empty the room of overloaded bookcases, bicycles, and various other paraphernalia before I could roll up the carpet. Got that done. Rolled the carpet, tied it with some string, then proceeded to muscle it through my apartment, slide it down five flights of stairs, out the two entry doors, and then drag it a short distance down the street. (By my tough old broad self.) I was definitely huffing and puffing pretty good, and I can still feel the effort in my arms, but it is so nice to be rid of it. Now to put back the furniture in a less than haphazard manner. Sounds like a weekend job.
No comments:
Post a Comment