It started innocently enough, with me planning on riding 40-50 miles today. Yep, cut those miles down to 20 because the wind was howling, the smells by the river were unpleasant, and there was plenty of muck on and around the bike paths from our recent typhoon. I did have a nice chat though, with Greg and Ralph, whom I met taking a rest near the WenLin Road bike path entrance.
From there, I went on home, via the German bakery where I purchased a great loaf of "Fitty" bread. Too hot, so they couldn't slice it. Now, why did I get upset when the gal told me that? Why didn't I just smile and say ok? Hmmm, could it be I was still irritated from the traffic, people, scooters, and cars on the way to the bakery? It was pretty intense, and I did holler at several idjits. (I really don't like me when I do that, but I can't seem to outgrow the problem.) Once I got home, again dodging traffic, the bread was still warm enough for me to enjoy a slice.
After a bit of a nap, a nice telephone conversation with Russ, and a visit to Jason's grocery store, I was ready to head over to the hospital for my appointment with a gastro doc. Thank goodness for the note from Annie written in Chinese...handed it to a lady at the information desk, who walked me over to the registration desk and the one English speaking lady in the place took care of me after that. Met with the gastro guy...had to have this appointment so I could get an appointment for an endoscopy. I will have no medication for this procedure...the doc assured me it would take but a minute and wouldn't need anything because he has over 30 years of experience. He has no idea what an amazing gag reflex I have.
After I was done being cranky and teary-eyed at the hospital, I decided to grab a cab and hit the fabric market. Score! Found great fabric to hang from the wires in my classroom over the library for only 50NT$...12 yards cost about $20.00 US. The stall was just in the front door up the stairs, didn't even have to go into the maze of the market. Once done there, I decided to walk toward Chung Shan so I could bus home. Well, some twists and turns later (and a fabulous new fabric store find, purchased three lengths of fabric at a great price) I was pretty sure I wasn't going anywhere towards where I needed to go. Not lost, mind you, just a bit turned around. Still, I walked. Up and down streets and alleyways with lots and lots of sidewalk food vendors all doing a brisk business. As it was starting to get dark, I crossed one busy street, then hailed a cab. I had walked enough that the cab fare was almost half what it was on the way to the market.
Oh yeah, I noticed that I was the only foreigner in the hospital (which was busy with HUNDREDS of people just on the first floor where I was) AND at the fabric market AND during all of my walking around. Cool.
So...moral of the day...stop being so bloody cranky!
No comments:
Post a Comment