Friday, May 02, 2008

A Good Friend

One of my good teacher friends was so upset over something yesterday that she couldn't even talk about it. That's the way it is sometimes at our school. I wonder if it will be the same for me in the states in two or three years. If I am able to get a job in my area, and it ends up being half as stressful as here, I am getting out of the classroom and going to work at a factory. I'm tired of always thinking. Even during vacations, I think about what to do in the classroom. Yikes, it just never stops.

Why do we do it? For the money, of course. (all teachers will get the sarcasm) No, wait, it's not just about the salary. We do it to see the light in kids' eyes every once in awhile when they "get" a new math concept. Or when they get their hands on some Oobleck or dry ice and have a blast with experiments. Or when their writing turns out to be exemplary. Or when a formerly quiet as a mouse student has a breakthrough and starts talking loudly enough to need to be shushed. Or when ESL students soar. Or when confidence blooms. Or when they actually get my witticisms. (Third graders probably won't get my jokes)

So to my friend, I say, "I'm here when and if you are ready to talk about it."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Dear BJ,
my job has immediate yet short lived gratification. My successes are appreciated in the short term yet ignored in the "down times".

Your accomplishments, and the accomplishments of your fellow teachers last multiples of lifetimes. You instruct and influence the ones in your classroom today, but what influence will they have in their future and the future of the ones they touch?

You enrich our world.

I merely help it through one more day of consumerism.
How's that for perspective?!
Honestly, the title "public servant" is bandied about almost as a derogative when it should be the exact opposite. Give your friend a long distance hug from the Hooterville Mayor, and while your at it, give yourself one as well! All of us that have been educated appreciate your work, whether we tell you or not!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Brenda,
Don't even dare to imagine that it is not stressful teaching in the states! You'll have to deal with the evil NCLB, AYP, and plenty of other acronyms. All we do is test, and teach to the test. But we aren't supposed to use worksheets. We have to differeniate instruction for each student's needs and learning styles. We have to contend with using new software programs to teach the students as well as assess them and give them computerized report cards from computerized grade books. Teachers in the USA have to teach tier I, II, and III levels of interventions in order to get a student tested for special ed. Each tier takes 6 weeks, and we get little to no help in implementing the interventions. Of course, we are responsible for keeping the other students "engaged" when we are working 1:1 or 1:2 with the students having trouble. And don't even get me started on stupid things like "Black American Month, Native American Month, and Everybody's Dog Month."
Please, if you want to teach in the states honey, be ready. It won't be any easier. Doris