So, at 68 I decided to take up mountain biking. Loved going out to SCIP here in Midwest City. Got confident enough to do all the trails, except the black. I wasn't afraid of it, I just kept going on the blue because I liked that one so much. I loved my new mountain bike, too. Until Friday December 8. I was finishing up a second lap on the north side, and trying hard to garner some more speed, when I apparently didn't corner well enough and got blindsided by a tree root. My momentum was abruptly stopped and I ended up tipping to the right and landed very hard on my shoulder with the bike on top of me.
Beth was able to come and get me. ER visit determined I had fractured my right humerus in 6 different pieces. Sent home in a sling and pain meds to pick up the next morning. Got in to see an ortho doc's PA yesterday and she said we will watch what gravity does and reassess after the first of the year. Appointment is set for January 9. She said neither natural healing or surgery would give me a good shoulder because this is a bad injury. Well, yay for me.
I'm pretty mad at myself for the mishap and right now am thinking I'm done with mountain biking, even after I heal. I guess time will tell.
I keep thinking how lucky Russ was to be killed instantly.



No comments:
Post a Comment